Having kids is exhausting and by the end of the day you may need a large glass of wine. No judgement here if that one large glass turns into two large glasses.
And what’s better than drinking wine? Knowing that the more you drink the more wine corks you’ll have to make Christmas Ornaments with! While many would look at the wine cork as trash you can look at it and see sparkly decorations.
This DIY ornament is a great way to spend a cold winter afternoon with the family. Besides being a fun family activity you are also teaching your kids the importance of upcycling and reusing rather than throwing everything in the garbage.
- Wine Corks
- Christmas Tree Ornament Hooks
- Glitter (color of choice)
- Beads (of choice)
- Paint Brush
- Flat Nose Pliers
- Pour small amount of glue onto a paper plate.
- Using a paint brush paint the glue onto the lower 1/3 of the wine cork.
3. Pour glitter onto the cork where the glue has been painted on. Use paper plate to catch the extra glitter. (see below for tips on not making a mess with glitter)
4. Set aside and allow to dry for 30 minutes to an hour.
5. While the wine corks are drying mix a small batch of decoupage. (Modge Podge)
Mix equal parts glue with water. Stir until mixed.
6. After the glue and glitter on the cork has dried paint on 2-3 coats of decoupage. Allow to dry for 30 minutes.
7. Straighten one end of the Christmas Tree Ornament Hook.
8. Choose which beads you want to top your ornament and slide them onto the straightened hook.
9. Insert the straight end of the hook into the wine cork.
10. Hang ornament and enjoy!
Tips For Working With Glitter
- When working with glitter it is easiest to clean up from smooth, flat surfaces.
- Sprinkle project over a box, box lid, tray, or paper plate.
- Always seal glitter with decoupage or clear sealant. This ensures that it won’t shed off.
- Clean up craft area as soon as you are done glittering. Vacuum area immediately
- Shake clothes off outside.
- Use lint roller to get any extra glitter off clothing or floor.
Where To Get Supplies
Don’t have enough wine corks? Buy them online or ask a local restaurant or bar if they have any extra.
Want more fun and crafty ideas? Head over to Pear Laine for everything arts, crafts and design.