It’s just past ten in the morning and already we’ve had a few of those “What The Fuck?!” moments. These moments are usually a daily occurrence and have been happening more and more the older my daughter gets. I know most of them are half my fault, but it doesn’t mean I’m not like, “What. the. fuck.?” when they happen.
Today it started at breakfast. My daughter loves to feed our dog and this morning when she was done with her toast she tossed it over the side of her high chair and I later see Jax (our dog) licking away at it. Whatever… I’ve given up on Jax not getting table scraps. About ten minutes later my husband gets Bradley (our daughter) out of her high chair while I’m doing dishes and when I turn around Bradley is chomping away at Jax’s piece of toast. Gross. She swallows it. WTF?!
About 9:30am I’m cleaning out the cabinets and empty the broken, bottom of the bag crackers into one of Bradley’s baby bowls. She wants to eat them so she sits down on the floor and is being adorable while she crunches away at them. As soon as I turn away she dumps them everywhere and is swinging her arm back and forth spreading them all over the floor.WTF?! Why?
So I have to vacuum, but apparently the vacuum is so much fun when I have it in my hand that Bradley wants it in her hand, too. WTF? Why is it only fun when I have it? So we vacuum the floor together and 25 minutes later it’s semi-clean.
Other major WTF?! moments that haven’t happened today, but have in the past…
- That time I put Bradley down for a nap in just her diaper because it was so hot (huge mistake that will never be repeated) and when I got her a couple hours later she was playing in her own poop. She had it smeared everywhere and was having a jolly ol’ time playing in it. WTF?
- The times when she wants to walk in the street (with traffic) and I don’t let her so she throws a fit the size of Texas because walking with traffic must be so much more fun than walking on the sidewalk. WTF?!
- When she really, really needs a drink of water and I get her baby cup out and cut a straw to baby size. (She refuses to drink out of a sippy cup.) I hold the baby cup, but she won’t take a drink unless she is holding it. WTF? So I let her hold it and she does great… until I turn around (I have too much to do during the day to just sit and watch her drink water) within a few minutes she spills it everywhere and plays in it. WTF?!
- When she is eating food and wants to shove as much of it in as her little mouth can hold. Why? WTF?
- When she picks up her toy basket and dumps it everywhere and then walks away. WTF?
After I get over the initial shock of these moments I can realize a couple of things… If she made a mess it’s not the end of the world… When she wants to do things on her own she’s being independent (which is one of my goals with raising my daughter)… She is curious and wants to figure out what stuff is and how it works, which is a good sign for the future.
The picture below ∨ is the perfect example of a “What the fuck?” moment. (By some miracle I had my phone out when I walked into the room and was able to snap a quick pic before I started gagging and took her to the tub.)